ESCH and the University of Houston have established a cooperative program where Management Information Systems (MIS) students enrolled at the University of Houston C. T. Bauer School of Business provide project assistance for non-profit client projects. Graduate and undergraduate students of U of H Professors Carl Scott and Janna Porra have successfully provided this valuable client service since 2004. ESCH identifies the projects and provides consultant mentors to the student teams. The program also provides students:
- the opportunity to learn the value of volunteer work while completing their course work
- experience in proposing and executing a project and developing communication skills
- the opportunity to work with an experienced ESCH professional
ESCH is now soliciting MIS (computer oriented) projects from our clients for the spring 2010 semester.
Typical projects that students have worked on are:
- Web site development and improvements
- Internet search engine optimization (to increase traffic to your web site)
- Database development and implementation
- Network Development
- Hardware selection and installation
- Software selection and installation
- ISP (internet service provider) selection and implementation
- Office automation & integration
- Accounting (e.g., QuickBooks) design and implementation
Constraints on the selection of projects include the following:
- project scope must be able to be designed and implemented in one semester (16 weeks)
- in the accounting area, students cannot enter financial transactions or participate in an audit
- client must have staff available to provide requirements, answer questions, & test the final result
- client must provide all content for systems (e.g., actual information for a web site)
ESCH and the Bauer professors will review the client project requests to determine if they are appropriate candidates for student projects. Projects will be assigned to student teams on Thursday, January 21, 2010. If your project is selected, students will meet with you to organize the project and with your input, develop and implement the project. You should be prepared to have the initial meeting with the student team within five days after notification of project selection.
Past experience indicates we will receive more requests for projects than we can accommodate. Therefore, it is important that each project request is well thought out and the project accurately described. If you have multiple potential projects, you are welcome to submit more than one. If you have questions or need assistance in preparation of your request, contact ESCH for assistance.
If you are interested in submitting a project for consideration, you should submit a completed project Request Form and MIS Assessment Form to the ESCH office before Friday January 8, 2010. Completed electronic applications are preferred. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you prefer paper, you can fax the forms to ESCH at 713-780-7764.
Please email our offices for the application.